About Me

My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a cradle Roman Catholic, that always had the knowledge of God. I, however, did not have a relationship with him and thus, was empty inside. Now through asking him to come into my life and going to prayer groups etc., I have had a renewal in my faith. Protestants may call it being "born-again". I now find what I thought was a BORING Mass to be the ultimate enjoyable experience that brings me closest to our Lord....besides of course Eucharistic Adoration, which is awe inspiring. The Church Fathers took me deeper into my faith which is when I came back completely-like a boomerang, thus my blog title. I understand why I am a Catholic/Christian. It is not just a religion. It IS God, it IS love. I might not be an English scholar and you might edit me in your head. But, I do have something to share and I hope you will join me on the journey and maybe discover something new to think about. Blessings+

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Is it OK to cancel your birthday, Christmas??


Traditions? Who needs traditions?? We don't need birthdays, anniversaries, all those get together on special days. We don't need Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter ...the traditions we uphold in our families! Or do we?

We, of course revolve around different traditions with our family and our friends. It is a natural part of what we do in our lives. I remember attending many different churches in my search for coming back to the faith and deciding on a church. I heard over and over again that traditions belong to "those" churches. It didn't take a brain surgeon to know that they were talking about the Catholic Church I was baptized in as a baby. I grew up with the tradition of the Church. I would read about other Christian's negative point of views on our Church traditions. Other Christians would tell me about not needing any traditions in Christianity. "You just needed to love Christ. Profess Him as your Lord and Saviour". Then, I would be told that being baptized as a baby is wrong. I can go on and on with what I have heard in my search, and now as a professed  Catholic. I know these people were well intended and I won't judge them for their lack of understanding as to why we have traditions. I didn't know... and I was born Catholic. How can anyone know if they don't dig deeper for answers? I think it is important to ask and question these matters.

Many converts and myself, now appreciate and understand what these traditions are all about. The Early Church Fathers and early writers just after the last apostles died spoke and wrote about the traditions we still do to this day, every Sunday Mass. 2,000 years of history occur daily all around the world.


I know, I would be upset if any traditions in our family were broken. I think God weeps over the loss of what he established on earth. Paul his apostle spoke to the Thessalonian people, teaching them what we read in the bible today- "So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter" 2 Thess. 2:15.  Here, traditions are those ordinances, precepts and teachings transmitted through the apostles of Christ, and intended for all future generations. The present and future Catholic Church. I am not going to argue with this teaching that has been passed down. I am not going to argue with numerous Scripture passages that verify these teachings of our faith. Available on request:)

Christ established his Church on the day of Pentecost and who I am I to argue with the big guy:) As a child of God, I will obey my Father...and follow the traditions set in place in his Church. I use to find them tedious and mechanical but now find it rich and meaningful. Anyone can follow traditions. We can go to a party that happens every year for our grandmother for example, and go there with a yawn or as a duty. Or we go there happy and ready to share in the special moments to unfold because we love her.  Where is Jesus in your heart? Where do you place these ancient traditions in your life?


No comments: