About Me

My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a cradle Roman Catholic, that always had the knowledge of God. I, however, did not have a relationship with him and thus, was empty inside. Now through asking him to come into my life and going to prayer groups etc., I have had a renewal in my faith. Protestants may call it being "born-again". I now find what I thought was a BORING Mass to be the ultimate enjoyable experience that brings me closest to our Lord....besides of course Eucharistic Adoration, which is awe inspiring. The Church Fathers took me deeper into my faith which is when I came back completely-like a boomerang, thus my blog title. I understand why I am a Catholic/Christian. It is not just a religion. It IS God, it IS love. I might not be an English scholar and you might edit me in your head. But, I do have something to share and I hope you will join me on the journey and maybe discover something new to think about. Blessings+

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This is appearing to be a more widespread hate crime

In the city of Anaheim, California (Orange County) at St. Boniface Church graffiti on the wall says "KILL THE CATHLICS". It leaves an impression on me that I would like to ignore. But, they won at least for a minute to offend me. Then I got to thinking about the quote from a great man Bishop Fulton Sheen. He said

“There are not a hundred people in America who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions of people who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church— which is, of course, quite a different thing.”

That statement rings true to me. If it is the media bashing Catholics, or a misinformed preacher, a neighbor or family member that is Catholic and does not really know their faith. Catholic by name but not by faith. I was one of those. I do understand how there can be many misconceptions. I realized, that the Church, I was a member of had a history so rich and so impressive. The same Mass we celebrate today as back in the 100's and so so much more. But, this only happened after a ton of research. I mean, I had to teach myself so much. Not to blame my Sunday school teacher or priest back when I was a child. They tried but I just was not listening. My mom (God bless her) took me and my siblings when we were little by the hand to church but she did not have enough knowledge herself to educate us. She just felt it was the right thing to do. My dad was just not interested-he was Anglican and had his own views on the Catholic Church. How could I love something I was not familiar with? How could I embrace something that I could not grasp in knowledge. In my home you didn't talk about God except maybe to say a bedtime prayer of speak about because someone had died. I suppose, I did learn something though. I did know that there was a God and that he loved us. I also all my days would send up a little prayer about my fears and try and talk to this deity in the sky as best I could. But that is for another day. I digressed and need to get back on topic.

I think it best, to not criticize or have hate in your heart for something that is not fully understood. I say "fully" because to really get what Catholicism is all about there is a lot to learn. I hope in doing this blog that I can help educate as simply as I can in bits and pieces to bring awareness that this is really God's true Church. I am open to dialogue and questions. I will do my best to answer them. I don't look at questions about the Church as stupid but as being intelligent because knowledge is being pursued.That type of seeking is to be commended. 
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." Matt 7:7 "one thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see."John 9:25 Maybe I don't see perfectly as I am only a mere human, but, I am very comfortable in what has been revealed to me and I am solid in my faith of Catholicism/Christianity. I was going to leave the Church and go to the fun church. A church with great children programs and that is very well intended and yes...that loves God. But, trying to find ways to leave, led me to reasons to stay. I could go on, but that is it for now.

Bless the man or women that wrote those words on that wall. They know not what they do Lord. I was there too in my lack of understanding and I must remember that they are just as important as me. May they grow to know the truth.I am no better then them, I am not perfect, still a sinner, but I am trying to be the best I can for God, myself, my family and humanity. God is love. +Shalom

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have come a long way with your faith dear. Nice blog,keep the faith!