About Me

My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a cradle Roman Catholic, that always had the knowledge of God. I, however, did not have a relationship with him and thus, was empty inside. Now through asking him to come into my life and going to prayer groups etc., I have had a renewal in my faith. Protestants may call it being "born-again". I now find what I thought was a BORING Mass to be the ultimate enjoyable experience that brings me closest to our Lord....besides of course Eucharistic Adoration, which is awe inspiring. The Church Fathers took me deeper into my faith which is when I came back completely-like a boomerang, thus my blog title. I understand why I am a Catholic/Christian. It is not just a religion. It IS God, it IS love. I might not be an English scholar and you might edit me in your head. But, I do have something to share and I hope you will join me on the journey and maybe discover something new to think about. Blessings+

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Church Fathers.....where to begin?

Who are the Apostolic Fathers??? I don't know, you might say?! Well, some of these guys hung with the apostles and or were about teaching and passing along the traditions taught to them.They were in a  close time line of Christ and the apostles. I call them official torch bearers. These great men put me back in line with the Church. First, after reading different material, I removed the goose pimples from my arms and put my hanging jaw back in place. What was this I was reading? No one told me about these guys!!!!! The Ante-Nicene Fathers that lived and taught before the Council of Nicea in 325 AD. Then the post-Nicene Fathers that also spread the teachings of Christ. The man St. Augustine is a well known example.  It is truly unbelievable what they have to say about the Catholic Church, Eucharist, Traditions, Mary, the Pope, blah blah blah.


I will start with Polycarp an Apostolic Father. His name means "many fish"....no, "many fruits". And fruits he produced. He was around in the year 69-155 AD. He was a pupil of John the apostle. This man sat at John's feet- wow!


I will be back to fill you in more very soon. I think you may be astounded as I was. Atleast go in with an open mind and see what is revealed to you. If you are ready to really discover what history unfolds, standby. This was my start back to the Church. Whodha thunk!?

2 comments:

Mindi said...

Very intriguing, Missy K. Your devotion to "information" is really a personal revelation about you - that you seek to find the real truth, and through your love for it, you bless the world by sharing that heady, rapturous feeling you get, by letting us in on the fascinating world that you uncover! Sprinkle your sparkly dust with those angle wings, and we shall all glisten all the more from it. (BTW, love your ending... "who'da thunk!") Love, Mindi :-)

Karen said...

Why thank you Mindi for that heart warming post. You are a blessing!