About Me

My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a cradle Roman Catholic, that always had the knowledge of God. I, however, did not have a relationship with him and thus, was empty inside. Now through asking him to come into my life and going to prayer groups etc., I have had a renewal in my faith. Protestants may call it being "born-again". I now find what I thought was a BORING Mass to be the ultimate enjoyable experience that brings me closest to our Lord....besides of course Eucharistic Adoration, which is awe inspiring. The Church Fathers took me deeper into my faith which is when I came back completely-like a boomerang, thus my blog title. I understand why I am a Catholic/Christian. It is not just a religion. It IS God, it IS love. I might not be an English scholar and you might edit me in your head. But, I do have something to share and I hope you will join me on the journey and maybe discover something new to think about. Blessings+

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Can you believe this??

Father Stan Fortuna...what a quirky, funny and yet, serious guy when it comes to what he loves. This video I posted here, is on my future  birthday "want" list. I have learned so much about the Mass, but, yearn to know more, to bring even further meaning to my spiritual life and my children's.


At church tomorrow night, we continue with our daughter, preparing for her special day of receiving Communion, the Holy Eucharist.(the body and blood of Jesus-it's not a cracker!). She is learning so much more than I remember learning as a child.Tonight she said to me "DO" is an action word mom. Jesus says "DO this in memory of me"(1 Corinth 11:25). He want us to eat and drink Him!! This is a gift, she told me. Yes, she is correct-wise beyond her years!

I love reading scripture and made my own discovery one day. The one and only time many of Jesus' followers left him was when he said "Eat my flesh and drink my blood". Can you imagine?? They must have thought Him mad! Especially when you take the Greek translation of the word eat and find out it means to chew and grind with your teeth. It is obvious what He meant, and they did not like hearing that! Then He says "This IS my body...IS my blood"(John 6). That word IS, is clearly stating a fact. This was not symbolism as some people would have you believe. There is much more scripture to support these sacraments.

Here are a few quotes from the early church fathers about the Eucharist-
110 A.D. Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Smyrnaeans They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Saviour Jesus Christ, Flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in His goodness, raised up again.
155 A.D. Justin Martyr, First Apology The food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by Him, and by the change of which our blood and flesh are nourished, is both the flesh and the blood of that incarnated Jesus.    -Amazing!

She is also preparing at this time for the sacrament of Reconciliation/Confession (when the priest stands in for Christ to absolve her/free her from the sins confessed). As it says in Matthew 16:19 “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Also it says in James 5:16 “Confess therefore your sins one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.” She better leave her brother alone soon, as the list gets longer day by day. What a cleansing sacrament though- what I use to hate, I now find lifts great burden. Firstly, following God as He commanded us. It also, causes me to try harder, as I am accountable to someone face to face.

Soon, my daughter and I are going to bring and watch a great kids cartoon on Communion, at her school, with her classmates. Great way to learn more!  Maybe I can use Fr. Stan’s video in my older child’s classroom, if I get the video for my 24th birthday. What...I can‘t switch the numbers?? lol But you know, as I learned tonight from my little girl, I already have a special gift waiting for me. Every Mass, there is a gift to consume and unite me closer to God.

No comments: