About Me

My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a cradle Roman Catholic, that always had the knowledge of God. I, however, did not have a relationship with him and thus, was empty inside. Now through asking him to come into my life and going to prayer groups etc., I have had a renewal in my faith. Protestants may call it being "born-again". I now find what I thought was a BORING Mass to be the ultimate enjoyable experience that brings me closest to our Lord....besides of course Eucharistic Adoration, which is awe inspiring. The Church Fathers took me deeper into my faith which is when I came back completely-like a boomerang, thus my blog title. I understand why I am a Catholic/Christian. It is not just a religion. It IS God, it IS love. I might not be an English scholar and you might edit me in your head. But, I do have something to share and I hope you will join me on the journey and maybe discover something new to think about. Blessings+

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Are Catholics know it alls? Do they need to apologize?


I know many people that go to Mass every Sunday. Do they know why they go to Mass and do they know their faith? Why we do what we do, and what we believe? There are so many truths that we can grasp by reading apologetics. No, not apologizing for the faith but defending and explaining our Catholic faith.

Conversion stories, reading about the Early Church Fathers have helped so many people I have listened to. I love listening to The Journey Home on EWTN television/Youtube. I have posted a typical clip. From Revert Catholics, Protestants, Atheists, Gnostics, and Jews and other faiths, their journey home to the Catholic Church has helped me grow and appreciate my Faith on a whole new level. I thank them and appreciate how much we have in common and their great contributions to the faith.

But people say look at all the bad popes, Inquisitions and sex scandals. Well, I have not had my head in the sand.

Let's look briefly at bad Popes- Peter the first Pope, was the least qualified, denied Jesus 3 times- not impressive behavior. Others followed in history. But, over the centuries, we have had 265 Popes, 99% have been scholarly , godly men. A handful of bad Popes did exist. The key is the Holy Spirit is promised to the Church primarily through the leaders of the Church when they proclaim the gospel. Their behavior can't mess it up. The Church is indestructible because it has to be indestructible.The bible says the gates of Hell shall not prevail against her. So, far, we are the longest standing Christian Church in history. It is made up of sinners like me. Jesus knew what He was doing. He has been faithful in the quality of men that He has raised up. The HS protected the Popes from teaching any error. Those teachings have not changed these 2,000 years. Yes, even the Popes sin. For example, Pope John Paul II went to confession every week. But when he was teaching, there is no error due to the Holy Spirit.
We need to learn our faith as Catholics. Those that are not Catholic, need to learn more about Catholicism, before they throw out the baby with the bath water.


No comments: